Mixed Media picture : Wax melting, paint, felt and buttons.
How to make.
Cost: The cost of a canvas, a bit of felt. A little if you have any old buttons and wax crayons.
Enjoyment: We had Lots of fun making the boys particularly like watching the crayons melt and sticking on the ‘pretty cool’ buttons.
Time: Approx 1 hr.
You will need:
- A canvas.
- Wax crayons (we just used some old ones we had, that barely get used for colouring now the boys are bigger).
- Paint your canvas with your chosen paint (your background colour) and allowed to dry.
- Placed some chosen coloured wax crayons on the canvas, where you want to add extra colour.
- Heat the crayons with a hairdryer to melt. This creates a wax like paint effect. (Warning it dries very quick and resets on anything in its path!) You may want to hold the crayons in place with something if you have a powerful hairdryer.
- Cut out a felt shape silhouette of your choice. (we did a boat and a turtle).
- Stick on to picture.
- Place some glue around the edge of your canvas and stick on your buttons.