This project is a really simple, fun activity to do in the garden. The boys have been desperate to make their own fire pit for ages, so we gave it ago at the weekend. It turned out to our surprise rather well and was not as hard/ stressfull as we thought it might be.
How to make.
Enjoyment: We had Lots of fun with this project. The boys were very impressed with their cooking and we were able to discuss fire safety in a very relaxed manner.
Time: Approx 1 hour.
You will need:
- Old paper or newspaper.
- Scrap timber, wood, branches and sticks.
- Bricks or rocks.
- Food to cook on fire pit if you choose. (We did lamb kebabs, extra thin pork steaks, Followed by mashmallows)
- Find a suitable location in a wide open area, with no overhead tree branches.
- Clear a space on flat, dry ground and use bricks or rocks to create a ring.
- Place your screwed up paper in the centre of the firepit.
- Pile small dry twigs and branches on top to form a lose pyramid.
- Allow air gaps in the pile so that the air can circulate.
- Have more branches on hand to keep the fire going.
- Keep a bucket or watering can full of water to hand if you should need to extinguish it.
- Light the fire and enjoy cooking a feast on it.
Enjoy emmas xxx