Can you make a Lemon Float?
This project is a really simple chemistry project to do.
Q: Can you make a Lemon Float?
A: You may believe If you drop a lemon whole into water it will not float! However is this the case?
The peeled lemon should sink while the unpeeled lemon floats. The unpeeled lemon floats because the skin is actually filled with tiny pockets of air, making it buoyant. Despite the unpeeled lemon being heavier than the peeled one resulting in it floating.
How to make.
Enjoyment: We had Lots of fun with these. The boys were very impressed with the experiment.
Time: Approx 5 minutes.
You will need:
- Two glasses of water.
- Two lemons (or oranges) roughly the same size/weight.
- Peel one of the lemons.
- Fill your glasses with water.
- Drop in the peeled Lemon into one glass.
- Drop in the unpeeled lemon into the other.
- Watch and see what happens.
Enjoy emmas xxx